1.14.2010

Yum, Yum, Yummy Chocolate Cake

I wanted to share with you this amazing cake that I put together.  This is the second time I have used cake mix from Aldi and people have really liked it.  I think it tastes different than your regular Betty Crocker.  It is called Bakers Secret and is distributed by Aldi.

I made the Chocolate Frosting.  It was really simple. Here is the recipe below...

Milk Chocolate Frosting
(courtesy of: Family Circle dec.09)
  • 4 bars milk chocolate, broken up (I used Hershey's)
  • 1 box (1 pound) confectioners' sugar
  • 6 Tbsp milk
  • 1/4 cup (1/2) stick butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place chocolate in a small saucepan.  Melt over medium-low heat, about 3 minutes. Cool slightly.
2. Combine 1 cup of confectioners' sugar, the milk, the butter and vanilla in a large bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 1 minute. Add melted chocolate and beat until smooth.
3. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until good spreading consistency.

I used an idea from Fine Cooking (i believe) to top the cake with marshmallows and sprinkle with a bit of chocolate powder (used Hersheys Cocoa Powder). I slightly modified the Fine Cooking recipe...didn't make the marshmallows, bought the at the grocery! :) I think I will try that one day but decided against it this time.
Voila!!!


I made it for a co-worker's birthday today and it slid a bit in the car, but was still delicious! :)

6 comments:

Alyson said...

It looks very yummy! Did you use 2 different size round pans for the cake?

Stacey Hays said...

Yum! I wish I had know that such a yummy cake was so close to my house!

Stacey Hays said...

Yum! I wish I had know that such a yummy cake was so close to my house!

Anonymous said...

Just a reminder, my birthday is March 18 and if I were to find a cake just like that at my house that day, I would not be disappointed :)

Annie

In Definition said...

buddy. aldi has great brownie mix too....especially if you use the full measure of oil AND add some apple sauce. david likes their brownies the best.

lars

amanda and bear said...

Alyson, I used the same size round cake pans, 8 inch, i believe. the top looks smaller b/c it slid in the car. :)
Stacey! you should have come over and i would have given you a piece!
Annie-I have made a mental note about your birthday!